Saturday, February 13, 2010

Laying in a cold empty house in Tallahassee I find Joy

It took me a while to know joy in Christ. It takes complete surrender to God to experience this joy. I never felt it when I was living with one foot in and one foot out. When God breaks you of this world and opens the eyes of your heart an insurmountable joy clothes you. Everyone can say they know that they have no power of their own and it is all Gods but few believe or live it. Pride and rebellion take over and have us thinking we can control our day to day lives. I am still unsure about my belief on if there is such a thing as a halfhearted Christian but I know this saying to be true of many people, “Listen, son. Half-hearted Christians are the most miserable people of all. They know enough to feel guilty, but they haven’t gone far enough with Christ to be happy. Be wholehearted for him!” Pastor Ray Ortlund’s father. I know I have not been the best example of this truth in the past but I am trying to show off my joy now. The Bible says that we can tell who is a follower of Christ by looking at his fruit and one of the fruit of the spirit is ‘Joy’. This is what I have been looking for in the people I love and share with. If there is no joy then they are missing something. I am not saying they are not Christians if they are not always happy, it could just be a season they are going through. If this season never ends though I will be worried because it is impossible to have the love of the creator of the universe and not be overjoyed. Like an engaged couple, I know of quite a few of them right now, we should be vocal of our love affair with the Lord. I wish I could take a cute picture of Jesus and me and use it as my Facebook profile picture. I think I would be bragging about some hot, young celebrity who was in love with me, if that were the case, but I rarely brag about the Lord, who is infinity greater, loving me.

I love every day so much. Life is so much easier when I only do one thing, delight in Christ. Don’t just take my word for it; I will never be enough to change your heart. Read the Bible and see for yourselves. I think Paul is the best example but there are so many. There are also many great books; I would suggest “Desiring God” by John Piper, “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis or “Knowing God” by J.I. Packer.

No comments:

Post a Comment